Skip to main content

Make an enquiry

    Contact Us

    Preston Office
    Tel: 01772 258321
    DX: DX 714573 Preston 14
    Fax: 01772 258227

    Garstang Office
    Tel: 01995 607950
    DX: DX 63970 Garstang
    Fax: 01995 600897

    Kendal Office
    Tel: 01539 628042
    DX: DX 714573 Preston 14

    Lancaster Office
    Tel: 01524 548967
    DX: 63502 Lancaster

    Clitheroe Office
    Tel: 01200 422264
    DX: DX 15154 Clitheroe


    How to arrange contact with your children over Christmas


    While Christmas is one of the most enjoyable times of the year for many, it can often be a difficult time for divorced and separated families.

    Agreeing arrangements to spend time with your children can already be a challenge, but problems are often intensified during the festive period.

    We already have a court order, what should we do?

    If a court order is already in place regarding your children, then arrangements for Christmas will usually have been set out in the order. What the court would have considered to be best for your children depends on your own circumstances, however the court would usually give children the opportunity to spend time with each parent.

    The formality of a court order doesn’t always allow for impromptu changes in circumstances though, so if there’s one in place, the best way to overcome any difficulties is to agree alternative arrangements between yourselves.

    If you have a court order and wish to make alternative arrangements, it’s crucial to seek legal advice, especially if the other parent is not in agreement with your suggestions.

    What should we do if there’s no court order?

    If there’s no court order in place, the best way to solve any issues in relation to Christmas is to initially discuss these with the other parent. This is the most straightforward way to resolve such issues, particularly as time with children at Christmas is usually an important consideration for both parents.

    If you can’t come to agreement though, and if mediation is unsuccessful, you would need to make an application to the court to formalise future contact arrangements.

    If you’re having problems making arrangements to see your children over Christmas, it’s important to seek legal advice at the earliest opportunity.

    For additional information on contact with your children, or for advice on any family law matter, contact Janine Hutson on 01772 258321.

    Questions & Answers


    Manage your privacy

    How we handle your personal data

    The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you more control over how companies like ours use your personal information and makes it quicker and easier for you to check and update the information we hold about you.

    As part of our service to you, we will continue to collect, use, store and share your data safely and securely. This doesn’t require any action on your part.

    For more detailed information view our Privacy Hub