Skip to main content

Make an enquiry

    Contact Us

    Preston Office
    Tel: 01772 258321
    DX: DX 714573 Preston 14
    Fax: 01772 258227

    Garstang Office
    Tel: 01995 607950
    DX: DX 63970 Garstang
    Fax: 01995 600897

    Kendal Office
    Tel: 01539 628042
    DX: DX 714573 Preston 14

    Lancaster Office
    Tel: 01524 548967
    DX: 63502 Lancaster

    Clitheroe Office
    Tel: 01200 422264
    DX: DX 15154 Clitheroe


    Can I change my child’s surname?


    Q: Following the breakdown of my marriage, I want to revert back to using my maiden name but also want to preserve a connection to my child. Can I change my child’s surname from my ex-husband’s surname to my last name?

    A. While changing your own surname is something which can be quite easily achieved, changing your child’s name can be a more complex process.

    To change a child’s name the written consent of all those with parental responsibility is required. Generally, both parents of a child would have parental responsibility, so the consent of your ex-husband will be needed before your child’s name can be changed.

    Providing consent can be obtained, the name change can proceed in a relatively straightforward manner via a change of name deed. If you cannot reach agreement with your former spouse, the parent seeking the name change will be required to make an application to court to obtain a specific issue order.

    When considering applications for these type of orders, the courts ​​‌‌‌​are generally ​​‌​​‌very​​‌​​​ reluctant to allow any change to a child’s surname. The court sees the initial registration of a child’s name as an important matter in relation to a child’s identity. Any attempt to change your child’s registered name may be seen as an attempt to diminish the link between your child and their father, something which the court would be keen to avoid.

    A change ‌‌‌​in name ‌‌​​‌‌for the sole purpose of having the child’s name match that of the applicant mother’s does not generally carry much weight. The courts require very clear reasons, taking into consideration the child’s welfare, to justify any change in name. The court’s primary concern will be to ascertain whether a change in name would be in the child’s best interests.

    An application to change the surname of your child is likely to gain the support of the court in instances where the other parent has limited involvement with the child. The courts are generally more willing to entertain the idea of a change in name when a double-barrelled name is proposed, as this is seen to preserve links with both parents. While the court may also take into consideration any opinions the child may have, the welfare of the child is the paramount consideration.

    Decisions are made on a case by case basis, so it is important that you seek specialist legal advice if you’re looking to change the surname of your child.

    To discuss any aspect of family law please contact Janine Hutson on 01772 258321.

    Questions & Answers


    Manage your privacy

    How we handle your personal data

    The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you more control over how companies like ours use your personal information and makes it quicker and easier for you to check and update the information we hold about you.

    As part of our service to you, we will continue to collect, use, store and share your data safely and securely. This doesn’t require any action on your part.

    For more detailed information view our Privacy Hub