Skip to main content

Make an enquiry

    Contact Us

    Preston Office
    Tel: 01772 258321
    DX: DX 714573 Preston 14
    Fax: 01772 258227

    Garstang Office
    Tel: 01995 607950
    DX: DX 63970 Garstang
    Fax: 01995 600897

    Kendal Office
    Tel: 01539 628042
    DX: DX 714573 Preston 14

    Lancaster Office
    Tel: 01524 548967
    DX: 63502 Lancaster

    Clitheroe Office
    Tel: 01200 422264
    DX: DX 15154 Clitheroe


    My marriage has broken down – can my wife divorce me?


    Some marriages hit the rocks very quickly, but it is important to keep in mind that you must have been married for a minimum period of 12 months before your wife can commence divorce proceedings.

    If you have been separated for less than two years, your wife can only get a divorce on the basis of your unreasonable behaviour or adultery. If you do not accept these grounds, she will have to prove her case in court.

    Your wife can commence proceedings if you have been separated for more than two years – but the divorce will only go ahead on this basis if you give your consent.

    In cases where you have been separated for more than five years, your wife can issue divorce proceedings without your consent.

    Questions & Answers


    Manage your privacy

    How we handle your personal data

    The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you more control over how companies like ours use your personal information and makes it quicker and easier for you to check and update the information we hold about you.

    As part of our service to you, we will continue to collect, use, store and share your data safely and securely. This doesn’t require any action on your part.

    For more detailed information view our Privacy Hub