Our Landed Estates specialist team is formed of experienced solicitors who deal with all aspects of property and ancillary trusts of Landed Estates, whether they are Settled Estates or other types of trust, drawing on the specialisms of our other departments as required. The key is knowledge and continuity.
The solicitor attends Trustee meetings and takes an active part in decision making for the future of the estate and coordinating what is required to ensure the Trustees and family beneficiaries are properly advised in relation to all aspects of their estate. We work closely with the Land Agents, Accountants for the Landed Estates and our Trust experts in the Private Client Department to ensure the best possible results for the Landed Estate whether it be pure property management or facilitating better operation of the Trust from a fiscal perspective or by re-arranging the method of dealing with the property aspects of the estate to maximise the possibility of achieving Business Property Relief utilising the principle in Balfour.
The unusual nature of the Landed Estates’ solicitor work involves in some cases dealing with up to three generations of the same family so our knowledge of the property portfolio of very large estates is extremely useful. Our involvement with Landed Estates ranges from very complex matters to run of the mill transactions.
Our work involves:
- Section 57 applications under the Trustee Act 1925
- Issues relating to private water supplies, private drainage and private access
- Reorganisation of business assets to minimise or remove the investment element to ensure Business Property Relief
- Setting up terms and conditions for letting of holiday cottages and holiday mansions
- Setting up standard assured shorthold tenancy agreements
- Granting of leases of hotels, guest houses, offices, breweries, warehouses, barns and boathouses
- Dealing with all aspects of renewal and possession of property
- Dealing with Rent Act protected tenants and registered rent
- Promotion agreements, options and development of land
- S106 agreements
- Telecommunication leases
- High level and low level water hydros
- Taking and granting encroachment agreements relating to beds of lakes
- Profit share arrangements with new ventures with tenants on the estate leases
- Shoot agreements
- Rights of way
- Common land
- Forestry sales and leases.
When something goes wrong, we work closely with our Litigation Department with any claims that may arise whether this be where we are taking proceedings or defending proceedings or taking action following insurance claims.