Buying and Selling a Home
Buying a home is the biggest financial transaction most people will ever make and at Harrison Drury we have the expertise to guide you through the legal maze of buying, selling or re-mortgaging a property.
We pride ourselves on providing our clients with a professional, friendly and effective service which results in a high percentage of our work being repeat business or recommendation and with conveyancing solicitors based in Preston, Kendal, Lancaster, Clitheroe and Garstang we’re able to provide a local service and help you to buy or sell your house with minimum disruption.
Our conveyancing department offers the following services:
- Buying and selling properties
- Landlord and tenant law
- Re-mortgages and further advances
- New build
- Auction sale or purchase
- Transfer of ownership on the deeds
- Leasehold flats
- Probate sales
- Equity release following a divorce
- Buy to Let
- Help to Buy
- Tenancy agreements
- Advising on compulsory purchase
- Planning applications
How long will my house purchase take?
How long it will take from your offer being accepted until you can move in to your house will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes between 6-8 weeks.
It can be quicker or slower, depending on the parties in the chain.
Stages of the process
The precise stages involved in the purchase of a residential property vary according to the circumstances. However, below we have suggested some key stages that you may wish to include:
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice
- Check finances are in place to fund purchase and contact lender’s solicitors if needed
- Receive and advise on contract documents
- Carry out searches
- Obtain further planning documentation if required
- Make any necessary enquiries of seller’s solicitor
- Give you advice on all documents and information received
- Go through conditions of mortgage offer with you
- Send final contract to you for signature
- Agree completion date (date from which you own the property)
- Exchange contracts and notify you that this has happened
- Arrange for all monies needed to be received from lender and you
- Complete purchase
- Deal with payment of Stamp Duty/Land Tax
- Deal with application for registration at Land Registry
Why our clients choose Harrison Drury
Our clients choose us because we’re clear on costs, provide a great level of service and because we keep in regular contact throughout the process.
Harrison Drury takes extra care to attract and retain some of the very best talent available within Lancashire & Cumbria. We know that by employing the right people they will offer outstanding service to you.
Our service focuses on delivering a personalised and friendly service by qualified and experienced individuals to ensure that your sale or purchase completes as soon as possible.
Harrison Drury Solicitors are accredited by The Law Society Conveyancing Quality Scheme.
The process of buying and selling a home is probably the largest transaction that most people undertake in their lives. By obtaining CQS accreditation we demonstrate that our practice has the skill and expertise to provide quality residential conveyancing advice and that we are able to provide all the information that you need to understand the process, options, costs and timescales from the outset.
Get in touch with our Residential Conveyancing Team to find out how we can help you to buy or sell your home: 01772 258321
Latest News and Advice for Buying or Selling a Home
Ending an Assured Shorthold Tenancy – the rules on Gas Safety Certificates
Buying a home is the biggest financial transaction most people will ever make and at…22/08/22
Mixed-use Stamp Duty Land Tax: When can you claim?
Buying a home is the biggest financial transaction most people will ever make and at…10/08/20
Residential landlords update: Prepare now to reactivate possession proceedings
Buying a home is the biggest financial transaction most people will ever make and at…06/08/20
How will the stamp duty holiday work?
Buying a home is the biggest financial transaction most people will ever make and at…09/07/20
Managing residential lettings on rural properties
Buying a home is the biggest financial transaction most people will ever make and at…02/06/20