Shortly after the First World War, in around 1919, William Harrison joined Mr Coupe forming the firm Coupe & Harrison.
In 1952 the firm went through a period of transformation with the arrival of Thomas Waterworth Drury. The firm changed its name to Coupe Harrison & Drury and later to Harrison Drury & Co following Mr Coupe’s departure from the practice. Mr Drury made a number of appointments expanding the business rapidly and focusing on property conveyancing.
When Mr Harrison passed away in 1954 the business continued to operate, for a short time, from the upper floors of 10-12 Lune Street until Mr Drury seized the opportunity to acquire 3 Fleet Street, Preston, which had formerly been owned by Palmer & Harvey as a Confectionery and Tobacco warehouse. Before that, 3 Fleet Street was a corn mill, and in the 19th Century was ideally located near to the Corn Exchange and on the bank of the canal terminus which has since been filled in to form Fleet Street.
By the time Mr Drury passed away in December 1967, he had invested heavily into 3 Fleet Street and the practice in general. In 1968 John James Moorby joined the practice and its name was changed to Harrison Drury & Moorby.
In 1973 a youthful John Edmund Starkie joined the firm as an assistant, becoming a director in 1974. Mr Starkie began to develop the firm’s litigation expertise, building on the long established conveyancing, wills and probate departments.
In 1981 the departure of Mr Moorby saw the firm’s name revert to Harrison Drury & Co which it remains to this day.
The modern day firm provides a range of legal services for businesses and private individuals including commercial property services, commercial dispute resolution, business sales and purchases, residential conveyancing, civil litigation, family law, employment law, and wills and probate.
In 2007, John Chesworth joined the firm to develop and promote its services for the local business community and in April 2007 he was appointed managing director, marking a new stage in the firm’s development and direction.
2010 proved a momentous year when Harrison Drury opened a Garstang office. A number of senior lawyers were made directors in the firm which also became an incorporated business to keep pace with sweeping changes to the legal sector.
The firm continued to grow and in 2012 Harrison Drury moved to new offices in Chapel Street, Preston, putting the firm at the heart of the city’s professional quarter in Winckley Square. In 2013, the firm expanded into Cumbria with the opening of an office in Kendal to serve businesses and individuals in the South Lakes area and further afield in the county.
At the beginning of 2014, the firm expanded yet again by opening an office in Dalton Square, Lancaster, to offer a full range of commercial legal services to local businesses and taking the number of Harrison Drury offices to four. That was soon increased to five, as 2014 ended with further expansion for Harrison Drury with a new office opening up in the east Lancashire town of Clitheroe.
2015 has seen significant growth for both new offices, and the Lancaster office has already moved to new premises in Castle Hill in the city’s professional district.
One of Harrison Drury’s directors, took the plunge and raised more than £3,300 at the weekend, by taking on the annual Great North Swim at […]read more >
North West law firm Harrison Drury has taken additional office space in Preston as it prepares for further staff growth. The firm, which has its […]read more >
Harrison Drury’s Jack Stephenson explains how companies can use terms and conditions to protect themselves and increase the chances of recovering the cost of chasing […]read more >
Harrison Drury has appointed professional services heavyweight Gavin Wright in the newly created position of chief executive officer. Gavin, a former senior director at Deloitte […]read more >
Representatives from Harrison Drury attended a conference in Berlin last week to exchange knowledge with legal and accountancy professionals from around the globe. The […]read more >
A historic inn that borders Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire, has been acquired by new owners after more than a decade of success under its current […]read more >
Schedules of condition in commercial leases have become commonplace. But how much protection do they offer? Commercial property lawyer Allan Sumner explains. As the name […]read more >
Harrison Drury solicitors has made Allan Sumner the new head of its Lancaster office. Allan, a specialist in commercial property and development law, joined Harrison […]read more >
Getting your dental practice in the right shape to achieve a successful sale takes significant planning and organisation. Jack Stephenson, a corporate and commercial […]read more >